Most nationalities will receive a tourist card upon entering Ecuador, which will be good for study programs up to 90 days. If your study program is longer than 90 days, you will need to apply for a Visa 12-V.

The Study Visa (Visa 12-V) is meant both for students of any level coming to study in Ecuador and extends also to their family members (married partner and any children).

It is important to be aware of that if you enter Ecuador with a tourist visa (12-X), you cannot subsequently apply for any other kind of visa in the country. You must return to your country of origin to apply for a non-tourist visa, such as a student visa.

You can apply for the student visa at your nearest embassy/consulate of Ecuador. For an overview of these, please visit  

Requisites vary significantly by country. When applying, you will need to show that your studies will be for at least six months within a consecutive period of one year. Other typical requirements for a student visa to Ecuador include registration or admission certificate from a recognized Ecuadorian educational facility, proof of finances, doctor’s certificate and HIV test, and a police certificate showing that there is no criminal record for the applicant.

The student visa to Ecuador is valid for a minimum of 6 months and needs to be renewed after a year. The visa is not renewable if the student fails the course.