Citizens of the EU/EEA do not need a visa to study in Greece. However, if you come from a non-EU country, you need to obtain a student visa. A list of countries requiring or not requiring a visa can be found on the website of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The Greek student visa is called “National visa – type D”. You must apply for your student visa through the Greek consulate in your country of residence. Most consulates require you to submit your application in person. Here is an overview of Greek consulates and embassies.

When applying for your Greek student visa, you will have to present a list of documents, among others an application form for a visa for a long stay in Greece, criminal record certificate, medical fitness certificate, travel medical insurance, and proof of sufficient funds to cover living expenses, cost of study and repatriation.

Within 40 days after your arrival in Greece, you should apply for a residence permit with the Migration Department.

You should make your student visa application 8-12 weeks prior to your planned arrival to Greece.

The length of your student visa depends on the length of your study program. The renewal of the residence permit is annual.

News and Articles

Read about important educational news, career information, and student experiences.

February 6, 2018

Want to be a change-maker? Fly the friendly skies. In addition to meeting the global demand for pilots over the next 20 years, you'll also s...