Diploma in Information & Communication Technology - Data Informatics Specialization Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (APU)
More than just a diploma
APU's Diploma in Information & Communication Technology with a specialism in Data Informatics is designed to provide you an edge with the latest technologies that are in line with the Industrial Revolution 4.0.
This APU Diploma in Information & Communication Technology with a specialism in Data Informatics is designed to provide:
- Provide students with skills in software systems development, with emphasis on aspects of data informatics.
- Prepare students for careers in the ICT environments with an emphasis on solutions design, software development, technology infrastructure support, data informatics application.
- Enable appreciation of the proven principles and techniques to the development and support of software systems in commercial organisations.
- Provide students with critical, independent and cooperative learning skills so as to facilitate response to continuous future changes in industry practices.
- Develop students’ intellectual skills, communications ability, and team working capability.
At the beginning of the program, students will acquire basic mathematical, language, and communication skills along with core information technology skills. Students will gain an understanding of basic concepts and terminology related to technology and business management.
- English for Academic Purposes
- Fundamentals of Entrepreneurship
- Managing Business
- Practical IT Skills
The second semester builds on and extends the foundation knowledge developed in the first semester. Language and communication skills are taken to more advanced levels of research and professionalism. The ability to analyze and solve problems using quantitative skills and familiarity with technology is enhanced.
- Academic Research Skills
- Information Systems
- Discrete Mathematics
- Professional Communications
This semester moves students to a new level in information and communication technology-related areas such as computer programming, databases, Internet applications, and computer system architecture. With this knowledge, students are able to use computing tools and techniques to solve common real-world problems.
- Database Systems
- Computer Systems Architecture
- Operating Systems
- Programming with Python
Students are exposed to more advanced development concepts, including the system development life cycle. Specialization starts here, with an introduction to data analytics that covers topics such as big data, data warehouse, and data mining. Data informatics also requires a deep appreciation of algorithmic thinking, based on calculus and algebra. Besides, usability principles in the web design and development process, and software engineering processes are introduced and developed to support the software development project in the final semester.
- Networks & Networking
- System Analysis & Design
- Introduction to Data Analytics
- Numerical Methods
- Introduction to Software Engineering
In their final semester, students design and implement algorithms using their second programming language. Two more specialized modules Behavioural Science and Marketing Analytics, and Introduction to Artificial Intelligence, will bring an insight into the techniques used in the design of software and the building of data informatics-based systems. The semester completes with a Software Development Project which integrates skills, knowledge, and understanding from the full program where students are expecting to include a range of data informatics techniques for problem-solving.
- Java Programming
- Behavioural Science and Marketing Analytics
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
- Software Development Project
Semester 6 - Internship (8 weeks)
Students will undertake an Internship/Industrial Training for a minimum period of 8 weeks to prepare them for a smooth transition from the classroom to the working environment.
*In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-curricular activities.
Upon successful completion of this program with a CGPA of 2.5 and above; you will be eligible to progress into any of the following degree programs offered at APU.
- BSc (Hons) in Information Technology
- BSc (Hons) in Information Technology with a specialism in:
- Information Systems Security
- Cloud Computing
- Network Computing
- Mobile Technology
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Digital Transformation
- Financial Technology (FinTech)
- Business Information Systems
- BSc (Hons) in Software Engineering
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Science (Cyber Security)*
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Science
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with a specialism in Data Analytics
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with a specialism in Digital Forensics*
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Science (Intelligent Systems)
* Please take note that Bridging module/s needed before progress into Year 2.
For the full listing of our Diploma Programmes, please refer to the Pre-University program brochure.