Associate of Applied Science in
Associate of Applied Science Degree in Interior Design Brookdale Community College
This program provides intensive, job-focused education in order to prepare students for entry-level positions in Interior Design. Career studies courses will provide training in the following categories: manual and computer-aided drafting skills, two- and three-dimensional visualization skills, space planning, universal design concepts, lighting and building systems, codes, historical developments in the built environment, trade information, and business practices.
The mission of the Interior Design program is to prepare graduates for entry-level positions in interior design and to provide the fundamental educational foundation necessary for eventual NCIDQ certification. To advance the mission of the program, the curriculum is designed to develop the abilities of the graduate to identify, analyze, and creatively solve problems related to the utilization of interior space. The program recognizes the need for the designer to understand and apply the elements and principles of design, to be an effective communicator, and to understand building systems and interior materials. The program recognizes the need for the designer to understand and apply appropriate codes, regulations, and standards necessary for the health, safety, and welfare of the public. The program also recognizes the need for the design professional to understand the basic business, professional and ethical practices.
- To provide intensive, career-focused education in order to prepare graduates for entry-level positions in interior design.
- To meet CIDA standards and guidelines and achieve accreditation.
- To provide students with general education.
- To address relevant Brookdale core competencies.
- To prepare students for transfer to a four-year institution.
- To provide interaction with design professionals and professional organizations.
- To serve as a resource for the professional design community.
- To provide opportunities for design work experience.
- To provide opportunities for community service.