Preparatory Year in
Pre-Music Program California State University, Fresno
Admission into the Pre-Music Major is a two-step process:
- (1) admission to the university
- (2) successful music audition and acceptance into an instrument or voice studio.
Students may apply for admission into one of the Bachelor of Music degree options (Music Education, Instrumental Performance, Vocal Performance, Jazz Studies, or Composition) during the semester during which they will complete all pre-Music Major coursework. Approval will be contingent upon satisfactory fulfillment of the prerequisites and the grade point average standard. Students who fail to complete all coursework in the Pre-Music Major and/or do not pass Jury I or the Composition Jury in two attempts will not be permitted to continue in the Pre-Music Major.
How to Apply
1. Submit a Cal State Apply online application and pay $70 USD (non-refundable) by credit card.
Submit the Paper Application. To avoid errors, please type your information in the fillable form. Then, pay $70 USD (non-refundable) by credit card. Or, it can be paid by check, money order, or bank draft. Please make it payable to "California State University, Fresno".
2. Official English language proficiency (Institutional Code: 4312)
(also email in an unofficial score report along with other required documents).
Accepted English Proficiency Exams
- TOEFL – 61 iBT, or
- IELTS – 6.0 or with a 5.5 Band score in each section, or
- Duolingo - 100, or
- SAT I - Reading and Writing of 550, or
- ACT - English 22, or
- AP English Language and Composition - 3 or higher, or
- AP English Literature and Composition - 3 or higher, or
- GTEC (Global Test of English Communication) - 1095, or
- IB Eng A Language and Literature - HL4, or
- IB Eng A Literature - HL4, or
- Fresno State's American English Institute - Advanced Level, or
- ELS Language Centers - Level 112, or
- FLS International Language School – Level 16, or
- TLC The Language Company – Level 9, or
- UC Davis IEPP - Level 800, or
- UCLA Extension - Level 6, or
- Pearson's Test of English – 45, or
- iTEP - 3.6, or
- Eiken - Grade Pre-1
3. Original or certificated copies of in-progress or final transcripts:
High school (or secondary and higher secondary) transcripts, mark sheets or grade reports with literal English translation.
4. Graduation certificate: If you graduated from high school, please submit a copy of the graduation certificate or diploma.
5. Passport: Submit a copy of the information/photo passport page.
6. Personal Statement: Statement of purpose, principal's or teacher's recommendation is encouraged but not required.
7. Financial document (no older than 6 months) and Affidavit of Support from sponsors showing the amount and source of support for a minimum of one school year of study. For details, please review the estimated yearly cost table.
*You may submit the two items after receiving the acceptance from the university.
First-Time Freshmen Admission Requirements
The California State University (CSU) will continue to temporarily suspend the use of ACT/SAT examinations in determining admission eligibility for all CSU campuses for the 2023-2024 academic year. First-time freshmen must meet the following eligibility requirements: a) be a high school graduate or equivalent; b) complete the 15-unit comprehensive “a-g” pattern of college preparatory course; and c) earn a qualifying “a-g” grade point average (GPA) as described below.
First-Time Freshmen applicants to Fresno State for the fall 2023 semester will be evaluated using two criteria: 1) qualified “a-g” college-prep high school coursework including in-progress or planned courses during the 12th grade, and 2) the “a-g” coursework GPA.
Applicants will be considered eligible for admission to Fresno State if they meet one of the following:
- Graduate of a California high school or resident of California who have a-g coursework GPA of 2.5 or above, and have met the minimum “a-g” coursework requirements.
- Non-graduate of a California high school or non-resident of California who have a-g coursework GPA of 3.00 or above, and have met the minimum “a-g” coursework requirements.
If capacity permits, the following supplemental factor will be utilized for Fresno State applicants who fall below the CSU minimum a-g coursework GPA:
For California high school graduates or residents of California earning an “a-g” GPA of 2.00-2.49 and non-California residents with an “a-g” GPA of 2.47-2.99, Fresno State will utilize any additional “a-g” courses taken above the required 30-semester minimum (15- unit comprehensive “a-g” pattern of college preparatory course).
The information below explains how Fresno State will determine a first-time freshman applicant’s eligibility for fall 2023:
Students who meet the first-time Freshman CSU admissions requirements and have a GPA of 2.0 (CA HS graduates/CA residents) OR 2.47 (non-CA HS graduates and Non-Residents) will be considered for admissions. Students will be admitted based on the capacity of the program (major).
Fresno State will determine eligibility using an Admission Score (GPA x 800), where the GPA is earned in “a-g” courses taken the summer after the 9th grade through the summer after the 11th grade, to meet the Admission Score set by the University or programs.
All applicants in our “local area” with an “a-g” GPA of 2.0 and above will benefit from an additional 100 Local Advantage Points towards their admission score.