Complete Diploma in Modern Gastronomy Edinburgh School of Food & Wine (ESFW)
Whether you are a school-leaver, university-leaver, career changer or professional chef, this Diploma will give you a complete and comprehensive understanding of classic and modern cookery techniques including bread, pastry, meat, fish and vegetable preparation and cooking. Additionally, those who undertake our Complete Diploma in Modern Gastronomy will leave with both solid understanding and practical experience gained during our Nutrition & Plant-Based Food and Artisan Food Production modules- both being the only courses of their kind in the UK.
Your time spent at ESFW will see you take in over 1200 hours of full-time study, the vast majority of which is fully hands-on but will also include visits to farms, mills, butchers, bakers and creameries as well as time with some of the country's leading chefs and nutritionists in addition to our own experienced tutors.
All courses will include our Chef's Essential Kit, all food and tuition as well as the chance to benefit from work placements, CV building workshops, industry-specific networking opportunities and an education from a school that is regularly voted as one of the best in the UK.
Who is the course suitable for?
- Food professionals
- Professional chefs
- Aspiring chefs
- Private chefs
- Career changers
Skills you will learn on our Complete Diploma in Modern Gastronomy:
- A comprehensive understanding of all aspects of professional cookery (including meat, fish, vegetables, soups, stocks, sauces, garnishes, modern technique and much more)
- A comprehensive understanding of Professional Patisserie (including basic and enriched doughs, basic and advanced bread, chocolate and sugar work, set and frozen desserts, sauces, sponges, layered gateaux, classic desserts and much more)
- A Foundation in Nutrition & Plant-Based Food (including modern plating techniques, food styling, alternative proteins, cooking with nuts and seeds, nutritional workshops, healthful snacking and much more)
- A Foundation in Artisan Food Production (including dairy, cheese-making, charcuterie, jamming & preserving, fermenting, artisan bread production and much more)
- A week-long course in How To Start a Food Business
- WSET Level 2 wine studies
- Farm visits
- Guest chef demonstrations
- Work placements
Why choose us?
- The only course of it's kind in Europe
- Expert tuition by experienced chefs
- Established and oldest cookery school in the UK
- Small class sizes
- On the job training
- Work placements
- Excellent career prospects
Certificates & Qualifications
Edinburgh School of Food & Wine is fully accredited by ICAS and is continuously assessed and reviewed to ensure that we are reaching the standards that they set.
Upon successful completion, each student will receive:
- Complete Diploma in Modern Gastronomy
- Diploma in Professional Cookery
- Diploma in Professional Patisserie
- Foundation in Nutrition & Plant-Based Food
- Foundation in Artisan Food Production
- Certificate in How to Start a Food Business
- WSET Level 2
- REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene Certificate
- Training: Full-time | Monday to Friday
- Hours: 30 hours a week
- Time: 10am - 4pm
- Duration: 38 weeks