Associate Degree in
Associate in Art Tacoma Community College
The Art Program at TCC provides students with a strong foundation in both Visual Art and Art History to help them attain their higher education and career goals. We offer Associate in Art and AA Art Specialization degrees. Both provide direct transfer with Junior status to a four-year university or college in Washington state. Once students have transferred, they can complete a Bachelor of Art or Bachelor of Fine Art to help further define their career in art.
TCC’s Art Department offers classes in traditional media, digital arts, and art history. Our faculty are professional artists, art historians, and educators. We strive for an environment that encourages students to develop new skills; explore their creativity, and exchange ideas. To achieve this, we provide relevant and professional equipment in dedicated instructional spaces. We are committed to helping students learn, create, and think critically about the world around them, through a project-based curriculum.
Associate of Arts Degree
The Associate of Art can be completed with five Art classes for a total of 35 credits of the 90 credits needed to obtain the degree.
Basic Requirements (15 credits)
Communication Skills (10 credits)
Fulfill the Associate of Art (DTA) Communication Skills requirement.
Quantitative Reasoning Skills (5 credits)
Fulfill the Associate of Art (DTA) Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning Skills requirement.
Distribution Requirements (60 credits)
The following Art classes are highlighted suggestions in the Distribution areas of the degree.
Humanities (15 credits)
ART& 100 (Multicultural) Choose one other beginning-level Art performance skills class.
Social Sciences (15 credits)
Fulfill the Associate of Art (DTA) Social Sciences Distribution requirement.
Natural Sciences (15 credits)
Fulfill the Associate of Art (DTA) Natural Sciences Distribution requirement.
Physical Education (3 credits)
Fulfill the Associate of Art (DTA) Physical Education Distribution requirement.
Distribution Electives (12 credits)
Choose two Art performance skills classes or Art History classes.
College-Level Electives (15 credits)
Choose three Art performance skills classes or Art History classes.
Associate of Arts degree with a Visual Art Specialization
Interested in completing a four-year degree in visual art? Complete the Associate of Art with a Visual Arts Specialization at TCC. You'll be on track to transfer and complete your Bachelor of Fine Art at a four-year college.
This specialization prepares transfer students with the foundation art classes required at most four-year institutions and a strong art portfolio to apply for the art major at that institution.
The Art Specialization requires 32 credit hours including the following
Required Foundation Courses (20 credits)
- ART& 100 Art Appreciation (Multicultural/Humanities Distribution) 5
- ART 102 Two-Dimensional Design (Humanities Distribution) 5
- ART 103 Three-Dimensional Design (Distribution Elective) 5
- ART 105 Beginning Drawing (Distribution Elective) 5
Media Courses Select three classes from the following (15 College-Level Electives)
- ART 106 Advanced Drawing 5
- ART 161 Life Studies: Figure Drawing 5
- ART 110 Beginning Graphic Design 5
- ART 111 Intermediate Graphic Design 5
- ART 131 Beginning Ceramics 5
- ART 132 Intermediate Ceramics I 5
- ART 146 Beginning Photography 5
- ART 246 Intermediate Photography 5
- ART 147 Introduction to Digital Photography 5
- ART 247 Intermediate Digital Photography 5
- ART 150 Beginning Printmaking 5
- ART 151 Advanced Printmaking 5
- ART 156 Beginning Painting 5
- ART 157 Intermediate Painting 5
- ART 172 Beginning Sculpture 5
- ART 173 Intermediate Sculpture I 5
Required Folio Preparation (2 credits)
- ART 297 Folio Preparation 2