University Extension Course Circular Gastronomy and Academic Treatment of Vegetable Products KMO
Universidad Rey Juan Carlos
EUR 656 *
Earliest start date
* price for non-resident non-community students is just approximate since then each academic rate is different.
Through knowledge and implementation of the concept of circular gastronomy, it is possible to improve the negative impacts of restaurant and catering companies, as well as generate an ethic linked to a more sustainable and participatory development of gastronomy. In turn, effective monitoring allows for better economic results, as well as boosting innovation and generating curiosity among the population to discover new opportunities for economic growth.
This qualification is necessary because it not only seeks to improve the profitability of the gastronomic and agri-food business, but also teaches the optimal way of coexistence between the business, the local community and the environment thanks to the promotion of the consumption of sustainable food and products, of km 0, the reuse, recycling and reduction of the use of polluting materials.
The purpose of this degree is to make the most of the resources offered by a region such as the Community of Madrid, which has been working for years to raise awareness among gastronomic businesses and the food industry about the benefits of making use of the wide variety of local products that offers.
Beyond the orchards of Villa del Prado or Aranjuez, the IGP Carne Sierra de Guadarrama, the wines or the extra virgin olive oil, we find a long list of ecological, biological and organic products, which are known is a priority so that They are considered a first option in the hospitality business, not only because of their quality, but also because of the increasing importance of reducing the carbon footprint, promoting sustainability and advocating for a fairer economy while respecting the rights of producers.
In the near future, with the entry into the market of the new generations, much more aware and professionalized, the client will demand that the product meets all these requirements. For example, the healthy and sustainable eating and lifestyle movements have had a significant impact on Generation Z.
Sustainable product and km 0 are two concepts that coexist and, therefore, must be studied understanding that one coexists thanks to the other.
The professional in the world of gastronomy must not only be able to use them, but also to make the most of their possibilities, understanding that this is also part of circular and sustainable gastronomy. Only in this way will the exceptional product of the Community of Madrid be recognized internationally, as well as the innovation implemented.
- Learn the concept of circular gastronomy and understand the importance of its application to a gastronomic company.
- Know the concept of sustainability, reuse and recycling as a path for the development of sustainable gastronomy, as well as reaching business profitability in gastronomy and food.
- Learn to treat the local product and reduce its loss to a minimum. Teach to look for alternatives and second lives for waste.
- Know the academic techniques and the optimal treatment of local raw materials that generate the minimum possible waste.
- Learn the economic impact that the adoption of a waste recycling and reuse system supposes for a gastronomic company.
- Know the product of the Community of Madrid, know its gastronomic possibilities and understand the benefits of preparing sustainable menus.
Module 1. Circular gastronomy. 4 Ects
I conception, models, and objectives. From the circular economy to circular gastronomy. [10 hours]
Circular economy concept
- Real examples.
- Definitions and basic elements.
Circular gastronomy concept
- Fundamentals of circular gastronomy.
- Definitions and basic elements.
Objectives of circular gastronomy
- Strategies to achieve the objectives set.
Circular gastronomy models
- Theoretical models and their real implementation.
- Examples of the use of models.
Ii circular gastronomy and sustainability [30 hours]
From the demand point of view [online: 2 hours]
- New trends and future in food consumption linked to circular gastronomy and sustainability.
- Changes in demand linked to sustainability.
From the point of view of supply and business management: [online: 6 hours]
- Sustainable and circular waste management.
- Sustainable consumption.
- Environmental, social and economic effects of the food chain.
- Circular supply chain applied to the food system.
Sustainable relationships with customers and suppliers [online: 6 hours]
Business models and circular gastronomy [online: 6 hours]
- Food industry.
- Restaurant and catering companies.
- Tourism, festivals and leisure.
Module 2. Plant product from aranjuez and the community of madrid and sustainability. 1 Ects
I. Regulatory council. [8 hours]
1. Denomination of origin. 2h
- Normative. 1 hour
- Origin denominations.
- The denomination of origin of the community of madrid.
2. Protected geographic identification. 2h
- Extension of the protected geographic space.
- Main elements of geographic space.
3. Bio and ecological product. 2h
- Regulations and legislation.
- Vegetable productions.
4. Quality mark. 2h
II. Vegetable product of the community of madrid. [2 hours]
- Characteristics of the vegetable product of the community of Madrid.
- Markets and commercialization of the vegetable product of the community of madrid.
Module 3. Cooking techniques, design and preparation of menus with close vegetable products (km. 0) 3 Ects
- Types of vegetables and their academic treatment. Cooking techniques and menu preparation. 10am
- Promotion of the local product as a sales strategy. Product seasonality. 9am
- Objective: 0 loss. Reuse, recycling and composting. 5h
- Project: menu design and preparation. 6h
The University Extension Course on Circular Gastronomy and Academic Treatment of Vegetable Products awards 8 ECTS credits.
- Students will analyze the economy of a gastronomic company and will know how to identify problems in order to correct them.
- The student body will know how to make the necessary purchases and how to correctly use raw materials and resources.
- The students will distinguish the characteristics of a product to be considered sustainable, as well as the benefits for the business and the local economy.
- The student body will have knowledge about the products of the Community of Madrid and Aranjuez, as well as the characteristics of each one.
- The students will acquire knowledge of the techniques for the elaboration of a sustainable recipe book with Km 0 product.
- The students will learn how to prepare sustainable menus with Km 0 products.
- Students will understand the importance of reusing and recycling the waste generated as much as possible, promoting the concept of circular gastronomy.
- The student body will acquire knowledge of all the vegetable products that characterize the gastronomy of the Community of Madrid and its characteristics.
- Students will learn the characteristics of a sustainable diet.
- The student body will understand the effects that the use of sustainable products and Km.0 produces on the environment and on the profitability of a business.