Postgraduate Diploma in
Postgraduate Diploma in Operations Management University of Johannesburg
The purpose of the Postgraduate Diploma in Operations Management is to (1) give a gathered learning knowledge in particular operations administration issues in a national and universal environment for candidates with or without business or public administration foundation, operations management specifically; (2) build up a basic comprehension of the changing operations management technique and strategy setting inside the private, public and non-profit associations; (3) develop competencies in strategic issues associated with organizations operations management function; (4) develop an intermediary understanding of fundamental concepts and principles from the various business and public disciplines; (5) improve students' administrative abilities through a pledge to an on-going administrative advancement; (6) urge students to think broadly and bridge gaps between theories and the actual practice of effective operations management; and (7) distinguish factors and create methodologies contributing to poverty alleviation and community development.
This program will empower students to increase significant learning and aptitudes and build up a more profound comprehension of their specific specialization. Notwithstanding the taught modules, a student must complete an assignment project of limited scope on a topic selected to permit the student to use information, hypothesis, and research aptitudes gained in classroom learning in a connected setting identified with the individual's business, and interests or community. Students will undertake a research dissertation related to operations management. The proposed program offers an opportunity to showcase the skills students acquired in classes during the year and to apply research practice. This activity will be supervised by a member of the academic staff, who will guide and assist in conducting a literature review and carrying out an appropriate study
Reasons for studying at UJ
- UJ offers not only a special program called the First Year Experience to help orientate students throughout the first year but we also offer a Senior Student Experience that gears students toward the workplace!
- Grab the opportunity to participate in a variety of sports and train alongside Olympians and Paralympians on state-of-the-art pitches, tracks, and fields, or just keep fit by joining one of the gyms on each of our 4 campuses.
- Be part of a young, vibrant, and agile university that reflects and adapts easily to our country’s aspirations, while maintaining global relevance through numerous international partnerships.
- 178 Internationally respected and accepted qualifications.
- Join a university that cares enough to have raised over R300 million since the start of 2016 in order to support the Missing Middle Campaign. UJ also ensures that more than 6 000 needy students have two healthy meals per day.
- Study in the vibrant City of Gold – the economic hub of South Africa. Join a vibrant, cosmopolitan, progressive group of students and academics on their way to re-imagining the future!
- UJ offers an amazing on-campus experience whether you live in one of UJ’s residences, belong to a day house, or whether you just want to socialize at the Student Centres on all campuses.
- We ensure the health, safety, and security of all our students through our own on-campus health services and UJ Protection Services.
- Did you know that during the first five years of UJ’s existence it doubled its targeted research output and to this day, continues to break records!
- Advanced Project
- Operations Management 5
- Operations Management Project
- Management of Change
- Operations Management
- Operations Management Project
- World Rankings: 601-700 in the world / 5th in South Africa and 6th in Africa
- Global Ranking of Academic Subjects (GRAS):
Hospitality & Tourism Management: 18th in the world, 1st in South Africa and Africa
Sociology: Top 150 in the world, 1st and only one ranked in South Africa and Africa
Public Administration: Top 150 in the world, 1st and only one ranked in South Africa and Africa
Education: Top 300 in the world, 1st in South Africa and Africa
Earth Sciences: Top 300 in the world, 2nd in South Africa and Africa
Geography: Top 300 in the world, 2nd in South Africa and Africa
Chemical Engineering: Top 400 in the world, joint 1st in South Africa and Africa
Political Sciences: Top 400 in the world, 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Physics: Top 400 in the world, 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Management: Top 500 in the world, 1st in South Africa and Africa
Ecology: Top 500 in the world
Quacquarelli Symonds (QS)
- World Rankings: 434 in the world, in the Top 1.4% / 3rd in South Africa and Africa
- Subject Rankings:
English Language & Literature: Top 250 in the world, joint 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Chemical Engineering: Top 350 in the world, joint 3rd in South Africa, and joint 4th in Africa
Education & Training: Top 350 in the world, 5th in South Africa and Africa
Economics & Econometrics: Top 400 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa, and joint 5th in
Africa Agriculture & Forestry: Top 400 in the world, 6th in South Africa
Physics & Astronomy: Top 450 in the world, joint 2nd in South Africa, and joint 3rd in Africa
Environmental Sciences: Top 450 in the world, 6th in South Africa and Africa
Chemistry: Top 500 in the world, joint 3rd in South Africa, and joint 6th in Africa
Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering: Top 500 in the world, 5th in South Africa
Medicine: Top 650 in the world
- QS Graduate Employability Rankings:
Top 500 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa
Times Higher Education (THE)
- World Rankings: 601-800 in the world / Joint 7th in South Africa
- Subject Rankings:
Law: Top 201+ in the world, joint 4th in South Africa and Africa
Education: Top 300 in the world, joint 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Psychology: Top 400 in the world, joint 2nd in South Africa and Africa
Arts & Humanities: Top 400 in the world, joint 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Social Sciences: Top 400 in the world, 4th in South Africa and Africa
Life Sciences: Top 500 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa, and joint 5th in Africa
Business & Economics: Top 600 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa, and joint 6th in Africa
Engineering & Technology: Top 600 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa
Clinical & Health: Top 600 in the world
Computer Science: Top 800 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa
Physical Sciences: Top 800 in the world
- THE Young University Rankings: 173 among young universities, 4th in South Africa
- THE Emerging Economies University Rankings: 116 among universities in emerging economies, 7th in South Africa
US News & World Report’s Best Global Universities Rankings (BGUR)
- World Rankings: 378 in the world / 5th in South Africa and Africa
- Subject Rankings:
Geosciences: 222 in the world, 2nd in South Africa and Africa
Chemistry: 280 in the world, 1st in South Africa and Africa
Social Sciences & Public Health: 287 in the world, 5th in South Africa and Africa
Physics: 289 in the world, 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Engineering: 392 in the world, 2nd in South Africa, and 4th in Africa
Plant & Animal Science: 424 in the world
Environment/Ecology: 463 in the world
The Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment at the University of Johannesburg introduced Postgraduate Diplomas in order to articulate with the Advance Diploma, as there would have been a gap between Advance Diplomas and master’s degrees. Therefore, the need by the Department of Quality and Operations Management (DQOM) to introduce the Postgraduate Diploma in Operations Management, which is aligned with the Advance Diploma program as a necessity is aligned with the Higher Education Qualification Sub-Framework (HEQSF) structure. The aim of the qualification is to develop the student’s applied and cognitive competencies in the acquisition, interpretation, understanding, and applications of operations management. Under the guidance of our advisory committee, this qualification is now regarded as in critical demand in the industry. It is understood that Operations management is critical to the success of delivering customer satisfaction. This course gives you the theories, concepts, and tools to be able to analyze and implement solutions to operations management issues in a business environment. You will gain in-depth knowledge in operational issues related to manufacturing as well as service industries worldwide, and in South Africa in particular. The course is aimed at graduates wishing to broaden their expertise from a technologically advanced diploma, or who want to advance their professional career. The course focuses on the wider strategic and global issues facing manufacturing and services organizations. It examines the use and application of techniques that enable operations effectiveness. The final focus is on operational areas. The course structure and content are based on the operational needs of 21st-century organizations, with content applying to both manufacturing and services.