About Vanier College
Vanier College is a publicly-funded English language CEGEP located in Montreal. Named in honor of General Georges P. Vanier, Canada’s second native-born Governor General, Vanier College opened its doors on September 8, 1970, welcoming close to 1,400 students in its first cohort. The Vanier College Crest is an adaption of the Vanier family Coat of Arms.
The Vanier College Campus
Situated on an oasis of green in the Borough of Saint-Laurent, of the City of Montreal, Vanier College occupies property and buildings purchased by the government from the Soeurs de Sainte-Croix who previously operated a convent (Couvent Notre-Dame-des-Anges) and a private women’s college (Collège Basile-Moreau) in the location. These buildings have undergone considerable renovations over the years to accommodate the changing needs of post-secondary education.
Career and Pre-University Programs
Vanier College continues to offer full-time pre-university programs and technical career programs leading to a Diploma of College Studies (DCS), while the Continuing Education Department offers credit DCS courses and Attestation of College Studies (ACS) programs, as well as noncredit courses and programs.
Vanier’s Academic Life
The academic life of the College is enhanced through a multitude of student services, resource centers, and social and cultural activities. A hallmark of Vanier College has been its diverse student body with students from all cultural backgrounds and from every continent being represented in the College communityBrooke Cagle / Unsplash
Vanier College Athletics
The Athletics Department has fielded competitive teams in ten collegiate sports. The Vanier College Cheetahs have produced a number of professional athletes and won both National and Provincial Championships. In particular, the Men’s AAA Basketball team just captured their second National Championship, and the Men’s AAA Football team won their ninth Bol d’Or Provincial Championship. Additionally, Vanier College is a designated Sport-Études college, welcoming elite athletes to its student body.
Vanier’s Student Population
Today, the student population numbers over 6,700 full-time Diploma students with an additional 2,000 students attending through the Continuing Education Department (credit and non-credit courses and programs).
Vanier College has a rich and fascinating history. To fully understand this history, we need to go back to the year 1837...
In that year, the Sainte-Croix Congregation was founded by Father Basile Moreau, in Le Mans, France.
In 1841, Father Moreau added a group of Sisters to his Congregation. In 1847, a small group of these Sisters (Soeurs Marianites) were sent to Canada to create an educational institution for girls in the small village of Saint-Laurent. Their first school was named Maison Sainte-Marie. This school, once located on the grounds of Vanier's E Building, would eventually evolve into two large institutions: Pensionnat Notre-Dame-des-Anges and Collège Basile-Moreau.
In 1967, Notre-Dame-des-Anges was closed, followed by Basile-Moreau in 1968. Both schools were replaced by Vanier College, part of Quebec's secular post-secondary education system called CÉGEP. Vanier College officially opened for its first semester in September 1970.
In 1967, the Quebec government established a new level of education which directly follows high school. The CEGEP system (collège d’enseignement general et professionnel) offers both two-year pre-university programs and three-year technical career programs. Vanier College is one of 48 public Cegeps in the province.